Friday, January 20, 2006

School is going pretty awesome!!!

I have decided I do like my writing teacher. It just takes a little while to get used to her. My math teacher is as always funny and the two guys and girl I sit with are great people. My American Government class has been heating up...
Wednesday we were talking about free press. The teacher asked if anyone agreed that we had a free press. (One thing about my class is about five people talk and the rest of the class is practically asleep.) So I piped up, furiously swallowing my dominating fear of man's opinion and said, "No. We do not have a free press. We have a biased press." The teacher's eyebrows went up and he came over and sat on the table in front of my seat.
Mr. Reynolds, my teacher, has said many times that he wants discussion in class. Well, I was about to give him a facefull. :) He asked me what my opinion was and this is what was said (roughly):

"The Jews control the media." (Yikes!! What a starter. I have no idea if there are Jews in the room but fortunately I am in the front row so I just put little blinders on (so to speak.))

"Pardon me?"

"The Jews control the media and they have an agenda, therefore, they restrict those who have ideas that are contrary to their agenda." Surprisingly, another girl in my class seemed to know what I was talking about and mentioned a few corporations she knew were Jewish owned.
We talked about that a little more before talking about OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting.)

"So is that free press?"

"Absolutely not!" I said, "If you have ever watched any of their nature shows they never once mention the side of creationism yet push for evolution the entire time."

"It sounds to me like you are coming from a very religious foundation. That is okay-you can organize your life around religion if you want." He said something else I don't really remember before starting this sentence:

"I don't know of any serious scientist who doesn't believe in evolu...." I instantly raised my hand. He stopped and motioned for me to say what I wanted.

"Have you ever heard of the book 'In Six Days?' Because that book is made up of essays by 50 scientists, most of whom have Ph.D.'s and teach at prestigious universities around the nation, who have found scientific proof against evolution in numerous areas of study from mathematics to micro-biology. I just wanted to make you aware of that because it isn't quite true to say that no creation scientists exist."

At this point another student said, "Is this book speaking about creation or offering criticism of evolution? Because creationism is just a theory."

"So is evolution. No human being was present to see it happen therefore any idea of how the world was created is just a theory."

The teacher said something about fruit flies evolving to which I responded that that example is merely micro-evolution, although I didn't get the opportunity to explain what micro-evolution is.
This entire discussion was spaced throughout twenty minutes which is nearly half the class. Today I had Am. Gov. again and at the end Mr. Reynolds asked me if he had quite thoroughly offended me last class. I said he hadn't and the conversation was over.
So I have decided two things, well it is more like three:
  1. I love college.
  2. College is not about finally getting a date.
  3. College is about apologetics/defending what I sincerely believe.

1 comment:

Travis said...

College is about apologetics/defending what I sincerely believe.
I really Like that> I myself am a biology majoy a senior now and I have had so much stuff force feed to me by all my professors and in all my classes and dont get me wrong( not all bad some of it i needed ) but alot I didnt and I think sometimes Here I am having other beliefs poured into me, but I am not pouring into anyone (and I should be) good blog by the way!