Saturday, November 27, 2004

Giving Thanks (A Little Late)

Everyone has had pain and suffering, both physically and spiritually. Well, this holiday season, pain and suffering is precisely what I am MOST thankful for. This may seem a little strange since most the world tries to avoid pain but I am learning to accept pain because I am growing so that I can see the good results of pain.
Everything good and lasting in this world comes with a measure of pain.
The expectant mother, especially with her first child, never expects the labor of birth to be as painful as it is. But think about how much stronger the mother becomes through this pain. And like in everyday life, the end result of her temporary pain and suffering is spectacular.
Everything good and lasting in this world comes with a measure of pain.
Think about Christ's death on the cross. Cruxifixion is one of the most excrutiating deaths know to mankind. Christ endured this horrendous pain for three hours or 180 minutes or 10,800 seconds for us. And that wasn't even the start of His pain. He was scourged, stabbed with thorns, He was spit upon and mocked. And then He had to endure cruxifixion. But look at what He gave us through His great sacrifice- He gave us spiritual peace and joy. He opened to the door to the Father and to heaven.
Everything good and lasting in this world comes with a measure of pain.
This past summer has been really hard for me and I have shed a lot of tears. But I have grown through it all.
-I have learned to let go of the glitches and embarassments that happen everyday since I am an imperfect human.
-I have learned to not allow friends to mean more to me than doing God's will by witnessing or reproving them.
-I have learned that I am a unique person created in the image of God and that if I am living by faith, I am a glittering jewel, even though I have many faults.
It has been a massive struggle for me to let go of these burdens and temptations. I have learned recently, through the Holy Spirit, that Satan's biggest temptation to me is to dwell on my mistakes and minor issues. It is Satan's way of distracting me from the big things in life like God and truth. Satan tries to make me believe that it is my conscience and I focus on it, thinking that I can resolve something that is an integral part of my humanity, my imperfection, just by stressing over it.
Now that I can see the truth, I am required to throw myself into Christ's arms and trust that my faith is sufficient.
I am so incredibly grateful for pain. I never ever am happy about it in the moment but in the end it is always so worthwhile. Pain weakens the human body but through faith, it strengthens the soul and endurance of a Christian.
It is important to remember that pain is just a temporary trial. Even if we have to endure pain for our entire physical existence, it is still temporary, if we are Christians, because we have heaven to look forward to and spending eternity with our Father.
There are several passages that speak about the results of pain:
"Truly, truly, I say unto you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him." (John 12:24-26)(NASB)
"If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. For how does a man profit if he gains the whole world, but loses or forfeits his soul?" (Luke 9:23-25)
"But I am afflicted and in pain; may Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high. I will praise the name of God with song and magnify Him with thanksgiving. And it will please the Lord better than an ox or a young bull with horns and hooves. The humble have seen it and are glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive. For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise His who are prisoners." (Psalm 69:29-33)
Jesus is not looking for the strongest, the wittiest, the bravest, or the healthiest people to fight His battles on this earth. He is looking for the people who will lay down their lives (health, social status, etc.) and daily pick up their crosses of pain, suffering, or grief. Through their weaknesses, He is glorified.
I am thankful for any oppurtunity to glorify God and if it has to be through pain then I will ask God to uphold me. He will, He has promised.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous men stumble badly, those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Isaiah 40:28-31)
"But you, Israel, My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, descendant of Abraham, My friend, you whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called from its remotest parts and said to you, 'You are My servant, I have chosen you and not rejected you. Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not anxiously look about, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:9-10)
I choose to cast all my cares upon His broad shoulders. He is faithful. If I remain faithful, He will never let me go. He has promised.




No comments: