Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving thanks...every single day!!

This Thanksgiving Day, Christians across the nation are stopping their regular schedule to give thanks to God. But I guess, aside from the turkey, stuffing, and whipped cream, this day is much like any other of my days, at least recently. Allow me to explain with several Bible verses, Luke 7:40-50.
I have been forgiven so many times in my life and especially just recently as you all know. Well, what some of you don't know is that as a direct result of that forgiveness, I have more joy and thanksgiving in my heart everyday than I have had for a long while. I think this reflects back on those verses, I have been forgiven much, therefore I am more grateful than perhaps someone who had a very easy conversion experience.
A few days after my latest, and last quote-un-quote "born yet again" event, I wrote a poem about Christ's gift of sacrifice and mercy to me.

"Pieces of me,
Shattered, scattered,
There on the carpet.
Drops of tears glisten,
Shimmer, sparkle
Among the shiny shards.

Pieces of me.

Pieces of pride,
Glory, honor,
30 pieces of silver,
Pieces of me.

Pain was the price.
Blood the sacrifice,
Thorns and lashes.
Misery, death.

The white lamb was murdered,
Slaughtered for the ransom
To buy back the pieces
And build a new me.

Pieces of me
Once scattered are gathered,
Refined to pure gold.
Molded and shaped
To reflect the great God
Who died for me.

Now I stand firm
Upon my foundation.
Once I was broken,
Now I am free.”

This gift of saving blood is what I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving. Believe me, I fully understand that it may never be offered to me again so I am not taking any chances on getting myself broken again. From now until the day I die, I am going to be the little sheep that sticks the closest to the shepherd, the little mirror that reflects God's greatness and holiness to the world, the soldier that although a little frightened at the risks loves his commander so much that he would die for him. So as Uncle John always says, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!!!"

-Thanksgiving 2005
-age 17

No comments: