Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Rain Dancing

After a long day at work and errands, I let myself go....go dancing, that is.

Today was a gorgeous day. It was sunny and warm (somewhere around 75 degrees.) There was a slight breeze and the wonderful smell of budding trees and flowers. But around 6 o'clock the sky darkened ominously and the clouds convened to make swirling forces of danger in the sky. It was incredibly beautiful, breath-taking in fact.

I saw it looming off in the distance. And true to form, the rain came, much harder than I expected, actually. It splattered in giant drops on my windshield. The wipers had a hard time keeping up with the intake.

We drove home and safely as possible which meant going 5 miles per hour slower than the high-school boy in the Thunderbird behind would have liked. But we made it and my brother and sister were exclaiming how they were so excited to go run and bike in the torrential downpour. I thought they were crazy.

But I thought about a much younger me and how I would have been out there in my swimsuit splashing through the puddles and sitting in the flooded gutters til they dammed up and over-flowed. I would have screamed and ran and splashed more than any other kid on the block.

So I decided to let go of my teenage self for one moment and forget about what my stylish peer across the street or the adults would think of my silliness. I just let go.

And it was AWESOME!!!!! At first I told myself that I was crazy and that I would get sick or something. But I know I won't. It felt so freeing and it made me so happy to go back 8 years and....

dance in the rain.

No comments: