Monday, March 13, 2006

Life is so short.

You know that bumper sticker that says, "Life is short. Pray hard."? Well, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. But I think it is incomplete to say, "Pray hard." The Christian walk isn't only about praying. Yes, that is a tremendous part of it but it isn't all of it.

Christianity is about trusting that God will provide the impossible. Christianity is about blind faith that God will take care of everything when humans can't do anything. Christianity is about obedience even when the command seems nonsensical. Christianity is complete and willing slavery to Someone we can't even see. None of this makes sense to the world, It doesn't makes sense that anyone could be so passionately devoted to a unseen God that they would willingly be matyred for His sake.

This goes back to my previous post. This is true love. Christianity requires true love, love that means we are willing to die for Christ.

Not all Christians have to physically die. But all Christians have to die to specific things all day long. That is what Christianity is. We have to be willing to give up our desires in order to glorify God. This is painful and the last thing on earth we want to do sometimes but that is love. What is best for God, for His will to be done, for Him to be glorified-not what is best for me?

Besides, it doesn't make any sense for us to go with our human desires in the long run because the human body "is a flower quickly fading." As I look at my grandmother, in her wrinkled, swollen body, I recognize this. I may be strong and beautiful now but how long will that last? A few decades? My sister put a sign on our bathroom wall, right next to the mirror. It says that the human body is designed to wear out. Why worship something that is marked for the trash can??? It doesn't make sense.

So, the only sense I can make right now is that I have to love Christ with all my being, all my heart, all my mind. Our souls are eternal and we all get to decide where we spend eternity-heaven, with everlasting joy, or hell, with everlasting pain?

Seems like an easy decision to me when you put it that way.....

No comments: