Sunday, March 19, 2006

Memories of Chinese Checkers

Bright balls roll
Around a cardboard star,
Sliced in wedges of blue, green, purple, red, yellow.

My sister's eyes twinkle as she jumps
Her glassy, banana-yellow sphere over
My sea-blue marble,
Like a frog over a lilypad.

I laugh and wave my arms madly
In the ectasy of the moment.
I ever so slightly touch the edge of the box
And the marbles fall out
Of their shallow valleys
And roll to new homes
Inside the star.

My sister looks at me,
Her blue eyes narrow.
I laugh,
Her only power is to not play
And she is too caught up in the game
To wield it.

She is many rows ahead of me
And I shriek when she gets her shiniest
Marble into the highest valley
And wins the game the Chinese play
Instead of playing checkers.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is just a funny poem. I didn't spend too much time on it. But I decided that I need to force myself to write creatively at least once a day. This is today's effort.

1 comment:

Verity said...

This is THE coolest poem ever!! BTW is the sister in the poem me?